Are you confused where to start with your essay?
If you want to do specific searches it is better to do your search in one of our databases that is specifically targeted on the actual field where search opportunities are more specified and adapted to the topic area´s uniqueness.
You have access to all of the libraries electronic resources from home.
All you have to do is to log in with your username and password
Do you want to look at other student essays for inspiration?
In Borås Academics Digital Data (BADA) you can find student essays and theses. If you want to look at essays from other Swedish universities search in www.uppsatser.se
Google Scholar (scholar.google.se) is a search engine focused one academic material. Here you can find books, student essays, theses, articles etc.
Appearance and design of a academic article can vary between different subject areas, but usually have a structure similar to this:
- Abstract (there is an abstract on the first page, which usually contain a short summery of the articles purpose, method, result and discussion)
- Introduction (why the analysation)
- Method (how the study have been assayed)
- Result (what the outcome was)
- Discussion (what the conclusion was)
- References (usually the reference list is very long and contains references from other academic studies)
For an article to be characterizes as an academic article it has to be published in a academic journal.
Helena France, lecturer at Library & information science at Borås University was recently a guest blogger for library blog and wrote about Academic texts.
One of the challenges of writing an essay is to be able to vary its formulations?? At the library, you can find books related to Academic Writing.
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University contains resources and introduction material for academic writing.
On the libraries webpage you can find information about Academic writing, Reference management, Endnote and Plagiarism.
Are you writing your paper with someone else and you are not able to meet With each other for various reasons? Than you can use Google Drive to store your files in a common place, and also to create documents that both of you can edit at the same time while chatting. You are also able to create a versioning where you can go back to previous data if needed, store files, create simpler spreadsheets and presentations and save your document that is compatible with Microsoft Office.
Use Google help pages or go to Tutorials on Youtube.
If you have questions about information search or reference management:
- Call the Library 033-345 40 50
- Email email@example.com
- Come to the information point for personal help
- You are also welcome to our Search lab every Thursday from 15:00-16:30 on 4th floor in the library room J418, where a librarian is available for answering your questions about information search
Text: Sara Hellberg, Tandis Talay